Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Papaya Smoothie


Papaya Smoothie

My mother purchased some ripe papaya the other day. Luckily, they were loaded with sweetness. In the past, there were times when I purchased ripe papayas, but they were tasteless and bitter. I decided to put these sweet and delicious ripe papaya to use and make a smoothie.  You can find the recipe at the end of the post. The recipe yields about 3 cups of papaya goodness.

Not only did the papaya taste good, but it also offers a number of health benefits. Similar to other fruits, they are the most nutritious when ripe.  Papaya, a fruit that is believed to have originated from Mexico and Central America, is rich in antioxidant as it contains high levels of Vitamin C, carotene, and flavonoids. Their antioxidant properties help with the prevention of heart disease and cancer.  It is

also a good source of fiber and provides relief for constipation and nausea.  In addition, the tropical fruit possesses protein-digesting enzymes, papain and chymopapain, which have been shown to reduce inflammation and help heal burns when applied externally. Papain is most concentrated in green or unripe papaya. This might explain why Asian countries such as Thailand and Vietnam enjoy eating papaya salads-it is appetizing and it helps with protein digestion. My aunt made some papaya salad for a family gathering once. She shredded unripe papaya and shredded roasted beef jerky and seasoned it with fish sauce. I remembered it being tasty. She told me that this salad is commonly sold on the streets of Vietnam. She and my uncle would eat it all the time on their dates. 

Another interesting thing about papaya involves breast enlargement. I don’t know if you ever heard of papaya making breasts larger. Maybe, it is just an Asian thing. I remember in grade school my friend told me that papaya enhanced the size of breasts so I went home and told my mother what my friend stated. My mother told me that it doesn’t enhance the size of breasts. She said in the past Asian women who were breast-feeding use to eat papaya cooked with milk to help them produce more milk to feed their children. I had read up about papaya and breast size. It appears that papaya is a fruit that has estrogen, which might explain why there is a claim that papaya increases the size of one’s breast. Soymilk also has compounds that mimic the hormone, estrogen. I wonder if combining papaya and soymilk when making my smoothie will increase my chances of having larger boobs- with all the estrogen and all. For some reason, I highly doubt it, but it is okay to dream, right? As long as the smoothie tastes good, is nutritious, and does not have any adverse effect such as mood swings, I shall not wish for anything more.

Ingredients:
1 cp of soymilk
2 cps of ripe papaya, diced

Instructions:
Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until creamy. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment