Thursday, March 15, 2012

Eating in New York, Again


So I spent the pass Friday and Saturday in New York City to celebrate a friend’s birthday-sorry for the delay post. I had to upload the pictures from my camera. In this post, you will see the lovely free food sample from Uniqlo, the fancy dinner that my friend’s loving and generous sister treated her, me, and another friend to, and an average breakfast.

On Friday, while we were taking the escalator down to exit the retailer, Uniqlo. A sales associate announced over the microphone that Uniqlo will giving out free food samples to celebrate Japan Week at 4PM on the second floor. Since it was 3:55PM, we decided to take the escalator up again to wait in line for the free sample-who can resist free food, right? The employees distributed green tea and Christina Tosi milk cake truffle. They were both delicious and I enjoyed them both very much. The milk cake truffle was moist and had this milky sweetness to it. It also had one of my favorite fruits in it- coconuts. The milk cake truffle tasted like it was worth more than a dollar for the little piece of truffle. When I researched the Christina Tosi milk cake truffles online, it said the truffles were from Momofuku Milk Bar, which has a number of locations in New York. Although when I looked at the menu, milk cake truffle does not appear on the menu. However, according to this website, they do have milk cake truffles. l I must try Momofuku other sweets when I am in New York, again.
Uniqlo associates handing out samples

My free sample of green tea and Christina Tosi's milk cake truffle
For dinner, we headed to a fancy restaurant in the Meatpacking District, STK. For appetizers, we had scallion bread and scallops. I did not particularly like the scallion bread or scallops. It did not amaze me at all. When the bread came out, it looked more like a cinnamon buns with it glazed topping than bread and it was cold. Regarding the scallops, I thought it could have been more flavorful. The little glass bottle of sprite actually impressed more than the bread and scallops. For my entrée, I got the Pomegranate Glazed Duck. I was very pleased with the Pomegranate Glazed Duck. I enjoyed the sweetness of the sauce and the tenderness of the duck. I thought the fruity pomegranate sauce complement the duck very well. For dessert, I opted for something light and fruity- sorbet. Overall the sorbet was good, it tasted very refreshing and homemade rather than store bought.

Bread

Scallops

My cool 8 oz glass Sprite Bottle

My tasty Pomegranate Glazed Duck

My refreshing sorbet- I am sorry I forgot to take a picture before eating it

Lastly, I will share with you my review for Brasserie Athenee. After walking around for a while and searching for food in the morning, we decided to walk into Brasserie Athenee located in Hell’s Kitchen District for breakfast.  Although the service was good, the food was mediocre. The breakfast menu did not feature anything that caught my attention. Some examples of the foods on the menu were croissant with jam, pancakes, crepes, eggs, and Belgian waffles. I ordered a Brioche French Toast with a side fruit salad since I craved French Toast the other day. I didn’t think there was anything unique about the French Toast or fruit salad; therefore, its pricetag of $7 for some bread and fruit is definitely overpriced. Not only was the food overpriced, my drink was overpriced. They charge me $3 for tea, which is very pricey for a cup of hot water and a teabag, which probably cost a few cents. I was surprised that the restaurant was quite busy. I don’t know what people like about this place. Do they like the expensiveness of the food or the simplicity of the food menu. Maybe, just like us, they were out of town and just looking for a place to have breakfast. I choose to believe the latter since the first theory does not really make sense to me.

Brioche French Toast

No comments:

Post a Comment