Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Banana Cake


Banana Cake

A Slice of the Banana Cake

I think I am going crazy. For some reason, I thought it was my mother’s birthday yesterday. I baked her a banana cake since she likes simple and moist cakes. She doesn’t like icing so I just melted some chocolate chips in the microwave. Then, I placed the melted chocolate in a ziplock bag and cut a piece of the corner in order to squeeze the words “Happy Birthday Mom” onto the cake. Unfortunately, my efforts did not necessarily pay off since it was not my mother’s birthday. I guess with all my co-workers' and friends’ birthdays in March, I got confused. Her birthday is not 3/12, but 5/12. I am two months ahead of myself. When she came home, she saw the cake and told me that it wasn’t her birthday, but she will still eat the cake. I guess I will have to bake another flavor cake on her real birthday. Maybe, I will bake her a lemon cake. She likes lemon flavor foods. Read more for the banana cake recipe.

Overall, the texture and the taste of the banana cake were similar to banana bread and banana muffins. I think this recipe will actually make awesome banana muffins if a few adjustments were made---adding some walnuts and coating it with some brown sugar. The banana cake was firm and moist. I think the puree bananas really help make it moist. Also, it was not too sweet. Just the way I like it.  I would definitely recommend trying this recipe if you like bananas.

Ingredients:
2 cps of all-purpose flour
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of baking powder
½ cp of white sugar
½ cp of brown sugar
1 cp of buttermilk
2 eggs
2 bananas
1/3 cp of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 inch cake pan. I line your pan with aluminum foil and then greased it if you do not want to wash the pan afterwards. 
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a big bowl.  In a separate bowl, mash up the bananas with a fork and mix in all the wet ingredients.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Using a whisk or a fork, blend all ingredients together until creamy.  Place the mixture into the cake pan and bake for 35 minutes. Test to see if the cake is ready by sticking a toothpick in the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is ready; however, if there is battery on the toothpick, bake the cake a little longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment