Thursday, March 29, 2012

Air-Popped Popcorn- Kettle Popcorn, Plain Popcorn, and Butter Popcorn



Popcorn packaged in zip lock bags


My Presto PopLite air popcorn machine came in the mail awhile ago, but I have not got a chance to use it until recently. I love air popcorn because it is delicious and a healthier alternative to snacks such as chips and crackers.  There is no oil needed to pop the corn and 2 cups of plain air popcorn is only 62 calories.  Although I added butter and sugar to make my homemade butter and kettle popcorn, it is still a healthier alternative to popcorns out in the market because I have control over the butter and sugar I add. In addition, there are no preservatives.

I went a little wild and made 3 batches of popcorn-plain popcorn, kettle popcorn, and butter popcorn. Read more for instructions on how I made these different kinds of popcorn. In the future, I am planning to explore different seasonings for my popcorn now that I have a popcorn machine. Maybe during the holidays, I will make an assortment of flavored of popcorn to give out to my friends and family---oh the possibilities.


Plain Air popcorn: Just add 1/3 cup of dried corn kernel to the machine and then plug in the power. Before you know it you will have a big bowl of delicious popped corn.
Adding kernels to the popcorn machine

Kernels popping

Kernels still popping

Almost finish popping

Finished product

Kettle popcorn: Pop kernels in the popcorn machine. In a saucepan, heat about 2/3 cp of brown sugar, 2 tbsp of oil, and 2 tbsp of water. Stir the mixture constantly until all the sugar has dissolved. This process should take a few minutes. Once all the sugar has dissolve and the mixture has a somewhat sticky thick texture, drizzle it into the popcorn and toss until evenly coated. I covered the big bowl with a big pan lid and shook the popcorn to toss. You can also just use a spoon.

Sugar mixture for kettle corn

Kettle Corn

Butter popcorn: Add about 1 tbsp of butter to mini cup that is placed on top of the popcorn popper. I used I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter instead of butter. The butter will melt while the popcorn is popping. When the corn stops popping, drizzle the butter in and toss. Enjoy!!!

Unmelted butter added to cup on top of popcorn machine

Melted butter

Butter Popcorn

No comments:

Post a Comment