Saturday, February 18, 2012

Shrimp and Vegetable Potstickers



Delicious Shrimp and Vegetable Potstickers

Potsticker Filling

Dumpling Wrapper Used

Wrapped Potstickers
What do I do on my day off? I spend the whole day making pot stickers for myself and my family. Potstickers or shall I say pan-fried dumplings make great appetizers or dishes for potlucks. Making potstickers can be a tedious task as it requires a lot of dicing, wrapping, and pan-frying, but I do enjoy the process and think it is worthwhile at the end. Maybe in the future I will invest in a food processor to speed up the processor. We shall see.

For my potstickers, I used an assortment of vegetables and minced shrimp, but you can really put anything you want in potstickers.  Most people usually use ground pork or chicken. Feel free to experiment with ingredients you like.




Below is a list of ingredients I used and cooking instructions. I am not going to give you the exact amount I used. You really can just adjust the amount according to how much you want to make.

Ingredients
Finely Chopped Chinese cabbage
Shredded Carrots
Diced jicama
Diced Asparagus (usually I don’t put asparagus in my potstickers but I have a few left in the refrigerator and decided to throw them in) 
Shiitake mushroom (soaked ove 4 hours to overnight, drained, and diced)
Minced fresh and dried shrimp
Scallions
Ginger
Garlic
Onion
Shallot
Garlic Powder
Ground Black pepper
Seasame Oil
Soy sauce
Dumpling wrappers
Water or one beaten egg to seal the wrappers
Vegetable oil
Water

Instructions
  1. Mix all the ingredients together well in a big bowl. Scoop a tablespoon of filling in the center of dumpling wrap and seal the edges with egg or water. I used water.
  2. Heat a skillet and added 1 or 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium to high heat. Add about 10 dumplings or how many can fit in the pan without piling the dumplings. Pan-fried one side for 2 or 3 minutes or until crispy brown. Turn the dumplings over and add about 2-4 tbsps of water to the skillet. Put on the lid and turn the heat down to medium. Let dumplings cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the water has mostly evaporated. 
  3. Lift the lid and turn the dumplings on the other side. Pan-fried until crispy. You can either serve with one side crispy or you can pan-fried the other side to make it crispy too. Once the dumplings are to desired crispiness, serve hot with soy sauce or any of your favorite dipping sauce. I prefer my plain. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment