Sunday, February 12, 2012

Seafood Congee


Seafood Congee
I wanted something hot and not to complicated to make so I made some congee with frozen vegetables, frozen fish balls, and scallion.  Congee or rice porridge is traditionally served for breakfast or late supper in many Asian cultures. Depending on your texture preference of the congee, the time spent cooking congee can vary.  Some individuals might leave congee in the slow cooker overnight for the rice to soften more and become more soup-like. Some individuals like my mother still likes the grains to be visible and do not cook the congee very long. She just waits until the water boils and cooks the rice over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Although you can cook the congee this way, I think traditionally people cook it longer to obtain the soup-like texture. For my congee, after the water boiled I add the frozen mixed vegetable and diced fish balls and then waited for it to boil again. Once it boiled, I turned the heat to medium low and cook for about 20 more minutes.  To serve, I topped it with scallions and fried radish.  I didn’t add any extra seasoning to my congee, but feel free to add some salt for more flavor when cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment